News2026.05.18 09:54

Lithuania would only send troops to Strait of Hormuz after US-Iran peace deal – president

BNS, LRT.lt 2026.05.18 09:54

Lithuanian troops could be deployed to the Strait of Hormuz only once a peace agreement between the United States and Iran has been reached, President Gitanas Nausėda said on Monday.

“I do not think our soldiers should participate under conflict conditions; that is not the intent. The idea is that safe shipping should be ensured after an agreement is reached between Iran and the United States,” Nausėda told reporters.

“So, it should essentially be under peace conditions,” he added.

Lithuania's State Defence Council agreed last week to send up to 40 soldiers and civilians to the Middle East to help ensure safe navigation through the strait. The decision still requires parliamentary approval, and the precise nature of the mission has yet to be finalised. Demining capabilities are among the contributions being considered.

Nausėda also said Lithuania could participate in both international maritime security initiatives currently operating in the region – one led by the United States and another led by the United Kingdom and France.

LRT has been certified according to the Journalism Trust Initiative Programme