News2026.05.18 09:07

Authorities continue search for drone debris in Lithuania

BNS 2026.05.18 09:07

The search for the crashed drone debris was suspended overnight but resumed on Monday morning, National Crisis Management Centre chief Vilmantas Vitkauskas said.

Police and ARAS counter-terrorism officers are on site collecting fragments to determine the drone’s trajectory, direction and objectives.

According to Vilkauskas, key questions remain regarding how the drone entered Lithuania, its flight altitude, and potential gaps in airspace surveillance.

He said no explosives have been found so far. Residents reported the unmanned aerial vehicle after 19:00 on Sunday.

“No explosion was recorded, either in resident reports or during the inspection; it appears there were no explosives,” Vitkauskas said.

In March, a Ukrainian military drone also crashed in Lithuania’s southeastern Varėna district near the Belarusian border, which authorities said had veered off course due to Russian electronic warfare measures. Similar incidents have become more frequent in the Baltic region in recent months.

Lithuanian President Gitanas Nausėda warned warring parties this week against using Lithuanian territory for drone strikes, saying this would constitute a gross violation of sovereignty and international law.

Foreign Minister Kęstutis Budrys stated that the warning was linked to suspicions regarding the potential intentional use of Lithuanian territory in the future.

LRT has been certified according to the Journalism Trust Initiative Programme