News2025.07.30 14:28

Lithuania is not considering easing sanctions against Belarus, quite the contrary – FM

Lithuania’s government is not looking into easing sanctions on Belarus, Foreign Minister Kęstutis Budrys has stated, amid a proposal from Birių Krovinių Terminalas (BKT), a Klaipėda-based bulk cargo terminal controlled by Igor Udovickij, to withdraw its lawsuit filed at the EU Court if the government allows Belarusian fertiliser shipments to resume through Lithuania.

On the contrary, Budrys said the government is exploring options to further extend the sanctions against Belarus.

“I can stress and reiterate once again that there are no processes currently underway to review the sanctions policy or specific measures towards Belarus. We are rather looking at expanding those sanctions,” Budrys told reporters on Wednesday, adding that he also addressed the matter during a closed session of the Seimas Committee on Foreign Affairs.

“The question at the committee was whether any such processes are ongoing. My answer is short: no, they are not. I reassured members of the Seimas [Lithuanian Parliament] on this once again. So I want to reassure you again and urge you not to be misled by rumours being spread that there is some kind of political process underway,” the foreign minister explained.

He confirmed the ministry had received letters regarding the resumption of Belarusian fertiliser transit but declined to specify who had sent them.

“We have received various letters. Yes, I remember them and have replied to more than one. Correspondence is ongoing,” Budrys added.

“My interest is to keep this matter absolutely clear, legally grounded and well-defined. This is how we are proceeding legally. If anyone tries to introduce anything else, I can say one thing – it primarily harms Lithuania,” he told journalists, emphasising that Belaruskali has initiated arbitration proceedings against Lithuania, “where public claims will be thoroughly assessed.”

Earlier this month, BNS reported that BKT had proposed a settlement with the government to resume Belarusian fertiliser shipments via Lithuania.

In a letter to Prime Minister Gintautas Paluckas and the government in June, BKT CEO Ruslan Malinin offered to withdraw the company’s lawsuit from the EU General Court in exchange for permission to restart Belaruskali’s fertiliser transit through Lithuania and the BKT terminal.

Prime Minister Paluckas has also said that Lithuania is not currently discussing the resumption of Belaruskali transit.

However, in early July, LRT reported that after Belarus released several political prisoners at the end of June – including Siarhei Tsikhanouski, husband of Belarusian opposition leader Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya – US diplomats asked Lithuania if it would be willing to ease sanctions on the Minsk regime, including those on fertiliser trade.

On Wednesday, Budrys neither confirmed nor denied reports of such discussions.

LRT has been certified according to the Journalism Trust Initiative Programme

Newest, Most read