The decision on permanent deployment of a German brigade in Lithuania is not a change of Berlin’s position, German Defence Minister Boris Pistorius said in Lithuania on Monday.
“It is not really a change of our position,” the minister told reporters in Pabradė, adding that Berlin is ready to deploy the full brigade once the necessary infrastructure is in place in Lithuania.
“The second point is, very important too. [...] The SACEUR (NATO Supreme Allied Commander Europe) has certain interests and very important interests. We said: he has to have the possibility to maintain military flexibility on the eastern flank. If he agrees [with the brigade decision], we will go on and proceed in that way,” Pistorius said.
Earlier in the day, the German minister said that “Germany is ready to permanently deploy a brigade in Lithuania”.
Further reading
Last year, the Lithuanian and German leaders signed a joint communiqué on the brigade's deployment in Lithuania. However, only the Forward Command Element is now based in Lithuania, despite Vilnius' wishes for the brigade’s permanent presence.
Until now, Berlin has been saying that only part of the brigade will be deployed in Lithuania, while the remaining part will stay in Germany and could be redeployed to the Baltic country if necessary.

