Jonas Sakalauskas, the outgoing director general of the Lithuanian National Opera and Ballet Theatre, says he plans to appeal after losing his bid to be re-appointed for a second term.
The Culture Ministry recently decided to appoint Laima Vilimienė, the manager of the Klaipėda State Music Theatre, to head the National Opera and Ballet Theatre (LNOBT).
Read more: Lithuanian national opera house staff revolt against new director appointment
“I plan to appeal against the selection process itself when I receive the information necessary for the appeal. Personally, many people and I have a lot of various questions that, if answered, could lead to links between the selection commission members, the principles of setting up the composition, and the results that may have been biased. From the data available now, I will appeal,” Sakalauskas told BNS.
His term ends on March 1.

Sakalauskas says he has questions about the makeup of the selection commission as seven of its members represented the Culture Ministry and one was a representative of an institution subordinate to the ministry.
Last week, LNOBT staff publicly expressed their dissatisfaction with the election results and voiced their support for the incumbent director general.
For his part, Sakalauskas said he had received a letter from the ministry, telling him to stop organising protests.
Culture Minister Simonas Kairys told BNS on Tuesday the mere fact that the theatre’s current chief was doing a good job was not a criterion for extending his contract.
Sakalauskas has led the theatre for the past five years.



