News2020.04.08 08:00

Coronavirus: 135 medics infected in Lithuania, nearly 1,000 in isolation

BNS 2020.04.08 08:00

All regions in Lithuania, excepted for Telšiai, have reported medical workers infected with the coronavirus, according to the National Public Health Centre.

“We have 135 sick medical workers, including 53 in Vilnius County and 52 in Klaipeda County. Elsewhere, the numbers are smaller, for instance, 15 in Kaunas County,” Daiva Razmuvienė, an epidemiologist at the centre, told BNS on Tuesday.

“Today, there are 944 healthcare workers who are self-isolating,” she added.

According to Razmuvienė, the smallest number of infected medics are located in Alytus Region (1), in the regions of Šiauliai and Tauragė (2 each), and in thje Utena and Panevėžys regions (3 each).

More than 4,000 people at risk

“There are 4,124 high-risk persons who had contact with a confirmed case [of Covid-19]. They will not necessarily develop the disease but we must play it safe and they must self-isolate,” Razmuvienė noted.

Around 75 percent of the new coronavirus cases were local and the remaining 25 percent were imported, she said.

Meanwhile, 62 percent of those infected were aged 40 years and above, and the remaining 38 percent were younger than 40.

LRT has been certified according to the Journalism Trust Initiative Programme