News2026.01.23 14:10

Lithuania to seek stronger accountability for Russian crimes in Ukraine, minister says

BNS 2026.01.23 14:10

Lithuania will seek “concrete ways” in Europe to strengthen accountability for Russia over war crimes committed in Ukraine, Foreign Minister Kęstutis Budrys said after a phone call with his Ukrainian counterpart.

In a statement released Friday, Budrys said Russia’s systematic destruction of civilian energy infrastructure constitutes a war crime under the Geneva Conventions.

“These actions require Russia to be held accountable,” Budrys was quoted as saying. “At the European level, Lithuania will seek concrete ways to strengthen accountability and consequences for those who order and carry out this terror. We will also urge the International Criminal Court to consider issuing new international arrest warrants for those responsible.”

During the call with Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha, the two discussed the state of peace talks and Ukraine’s prospects for joining the European Union.

Budrys said Lithuania consistently emphasises the need for continued military support, security guarantees and energy assistance for Ukraine in talks with international partners as the country resists Russian aggression.

He added that any peace negotiations must include a clear and binding plan for Ukraine’s integration into the EU, which he described as a genuine security guarantee for Kyiv.

The foreign minister also said Lithuania has decided to transfer electricity generators to Ukraine worth more than 2.4 million euros.

As previously reported, Lithuania will deliver 90 electricity generators to Ukraine amid widespread outages caused by Russian strikes on energy facilities. Thousands of Ukrainians have been left without heat and electricity, particularly during winter months when temperatures fall below freezing.

LRT has been certified according to the Journalism Trust Initiative Programme

Newest, Most read