Lithuanian Prime Minister Inga Ruginienė said Thursday that Lithuania will not negotiate with Belarus on reopening their shared border and will only do so after receiving asurances that smuggler balloons will stop.
“I can say that all diplomatic channels have been enabled to resolve this situation. The border with Belarus is closed for a reason – because of a hybrid attack,” Ruginienė told reporters at the Seimas. “As soon as we have confirmation from Belarus that the attacks have been brought under control and we have no problems in this regard, we will make a decision to reopen the borders.”
The prime minister stressed that Lithuania is not in talks with Minsk but is “sending a clear message” that border decisions will depend on Belarus providing assurances that hybrid operations will not continue.
When asked at what level communication with Belarus is taking place, Ruginienė declined to give details.
“At various levels, as far as I can say. Please be patient – the situation is under control, and there are definitely positive signs,” she said.
The prime minister noted that air traffic disruptions caused by weather balloons launched from Belarus have decreased.
“Airports are not being closed as they were initially. The operating algorithm is well coordinated and working. The number of balloons is not as high as before, and there are nights when there are none at all. These are positive signs, but there is still work to be done,” Ruginienė said.
Earlier this week, Foreign Minister Kęstutis Budrys said the US administration had been informed about the situation and was “involved in this issue”. Ruginienė said Lithuania is cooperating closely not only with the United States, but also with Poland and other Baltic states.
“We started working with our allies from day one, informed them immediately and are working closely with them. We are grateful to our allies because they are really helping,” she said.
Lithuanian airports were forced to suspend operations several times in late October after weather balloons used to smuggle cigarettes from Belarus entered Lithuania and could pose a threat to aircraft. The disruptions affected about 150 flights and more than 20,000 passengers.
Vilnius has described the incidents as hybrid attacks orchestrated by the Belarusian government of Alexander Lukashenko. The European Union has condemned Minsk’s actions, and NATO has expressed support for Lithuania.
In response to the aviation threat, the Lithuanian government closed its border with Belarus until November 30, with limited exceptions.
Minsk retaliated by banning Lithuanian trucks from returning to Lithuania, saying the ban will remain in place until the border is reopened.

