News2025.09.05 09:24

US to cut military aid to Russia’s neighbours – Lithuanian defmin not officially informed

updates
LRT.lt, BNS 2025.09.05 09:24

The United States plans to end military assistance to European countries near Russia, according to multiple media reports. Though European countries have been informed about planned cuts to US support, Lithuania has not yet received any formal written notice, said the Defence Ministry's Director of Policy, Vaidotas Urbelis.

“Officially, last week the US Defence Department informed countries that from the next financial year this budget line would be reduced to zero for all European states,” the ministry official told journalists on Friday.

“There is no formal letter on paper. These are conversations, certain pieces of information and statements, but we see the overall picture. [...] Next year’s budget has not even been adopted. That means the actual sums will only be clear once both chambers pass it and the US president signs it, so we still have to wait a couple of months,” he added.

The Washington Post on Thursday cited six people familiar with the matter who confirmed the move, which would affect hundreds of millions of dollars in aid intended to bolster defences against Russia. The Financial Times also reported the decision.

US officials last week informed European diplomats that Washington will stop funding programmes that train and equip armed forces in Eastern European nations bordering Russia, the reports said.

A White House official pointed to President Donald Trump’s January directive ordering a review of US foreign assistance but did not confirm details about reductions to security aid.

The Trump administration has pushed for Europe to take on a larger role in its own defence. News of the potential cuts comes as Trump is seeking to end Russia’s war in Ukraine.

Baltic programme on the line

The future of the Baltic Security Initiative – a separate program launched in 2020 to strengthen the armed forces of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania – is also in doubt, the Financial Times reported.

Congress last year approved 228 million US dollars to support the initiative. The White House did not seek new funding for the program in its next budget, and a source familiar with the matter said the administration is reassessing it.

Losing US security assistance would be a blow to the Baltic states, said retired Adm. Mark Montgomery, now with the Foundation for Defense of Democracies.

The administration is also reviewing US troop deployments worldwide and has signalled plans to reduce forces in Europe.

On Wednesday, Trump met at the White House with Polish President Karol Nawrocki and insisted he does not plan to withdraw troops from Poland.

About 8,000 US service members are currently stationed there to reinforce NATO’s eastern flank, US media reported.

Updated: clarified that defmin was informed about planned cuts, though not officially.

LRT has been certified according to the Journalism Trust Initiative Programme