Lithuania's Foreign Ministry has delivered a formal note of protest to Russia over the latest wave of missile and drone strikes on Ukraine.
In its statement, the ministry said Moscow’s continued attacks came “at a time when Europe and the United States are making enormous efforts to end the war and agree on a lasting peace”, arguing that the strikes showed Russia “is not prepared to renounce its aggressive goals towards Ukraine and seek peace”.
Ukraine reported that Russia launched 574 drones and 40 missiles overnight in what officials described as the heaviest barrage since mid-July. Air defence units shot down 546 drones and 31 missiles, but at least one person was killed and many others injured.
The attacks follow a series of high-level talks led by US President Donald Trump, who met Russian President Vladimir Putin in Alaska last week before hosting Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelensky and European leaders in Washington on Monday.
According to the Foreign Ministry, Moscow’s participation in the negotiations is “hypocritical and aimed solely at gaining time to continue seizing parts of Ukraine's territory and avoid new Western sanctions”.
Russia has indicated little appetite for a direct summit with Zelensky, but has said it expects to be included in wider discussions on security guarantees for Ukraine.

