In a press conference in Vilnius on Friday, Belarusian exiles spoke out against the growing hostility toward Belarusians in the country.
Olga Karach, head of the Nash Dom NGO (Our House) said Belarusians in Lithuania are victims of their openness to disclose information about themselves to the authorities.
"Those people who have been recognised as a threat to national security have had experience in the army or have completed military education, which becomes the basis for recognising them as a threat to national security,” said Karach.
Last year, Lithuania introduced mandatory questionnaires for Belarusian and Russian nationals where they are asked to disclose their past ties and their views on topics including the annexation of Crimea.
Further reading
Since then, over 900 Belarusians have had their visa or residency permit applications denied, or had their documents revoked.
“There is a case where a woman was recognised as a threat to national security because she was an accountant in a railway, or firefighters and security guards who install alarms," Karach added.
"The Belarusians want to be honest with Lithuania, we don't want to cheat the state system, all these people were honest about their experiences because they didn't want to lie, and they were punished for being open,” Karach said. “These are the people who took part in the protests, and if deported they face a long prison sentence.”
Later the same day, Karach revealed her asylum application had also been rejected.

Further reading
‘Not Lithuania’s enemies’
At the press conference, members of various Belarusian organisations also stressed the different attitudes of Belarusian and Russian societies towards the war in Ukraine.
Yauhen Vilsky, a representative of the Narodnaya Hramada Party, says Belarusians in Lithuania do not pose a threat to national security and are also ready to defend the country in case of aggression.
The party's leader Mikola Statkevich "is a personal enemy of Lukashenko, imprisoned for 14 years", he said, adding that many of the party's members are fighting on the Ukrainian side.
"I am convinced that the Belarusians in Lithuania are not Lithuania's enemies and do not pose any threat to national security. On the contrary, in case of war, we are ready to defend Lithuania from the aggressor," said the Belarusian opposition representative.
Aliaksandr Klachko, who fought in Ukraine and left Belarus for Lithuania in 2020, said in a video call from the front that Belarus is currently under "double occupation" – by the Lukashenko regime and Russia.
"I am very grateful to Lithuania for letting me and fellow like-minded people into Lithuania through the humanitarian corridor in 2020 because prison was the only alternative for peaceful protests. I would like to stress that Belarus is not Russia, Belarus today is under double occupation: first of all, by the Lukashenko regime, which is hostile to Belarusians, and also by Russia," Klachko said.
"Both occupiers are trying to eradicate the Belarusian identity and blur the line between the Belarusians and Russians. It is difficult for the Belarusians today because everywhere in Europe we have become known because of Lukashenko who allowed Russia to attack Ukraine from the territory of Belarus, and that's why we have that shadow hanging over us," Klachko added.
Currently, Belarusians are subjected to fewer restrictions than Russian nationals. However, Lithuanian politicians are considering equating the current sanctions to nationals of both countries.
Russian nationals are currently banned from applying for residence permits and visas, as well as buying property. Belarusians now also face restrictions when applying for visas or residence documents.



