News

2021.07.29 11:50

Minsk regime uses migrants in 'hybrid attack' against EU, NATO, say Baltic ministers

BNS2021.07.29 11:50

The Lithuanian, Latvian and Estonian defence ministers have agreed to coordinate their response to the migrant crisis, saying it is a “hybrid attack” by the Belarusian regime against the Baltic countries, the EU, and NATO.

The three Baltic ministers held a video conference on Wednesday to discuss the worsening security situation in the region amid an influx in irregular migration, the Lithuanian Defence Ministry said on Thursday.

"The current situation on the border is not just a migrant crisis; it is hybrid warfare against the European Union, NATO and especially against the stability of the Baltic states," said Lithuanian Defence Minister Arvydas Anušauskas.

"This hybrid attack requires a united and coordinated response from the Baltic states," he added.

Estonian Defense Minister Kalle Laanet said the country was “determined to continue to support Lithuania and seek international support and assistance to resolve this security crisis”.

Anušauskas also thanked Estonia and Latvia for their support in securing the border with Belarus.

Estonia has supplied Lithuania with 100 kilometers of barbed wire and is planning to provide unmanned aerial vehicles and night vision systems. Latvia has already sent humanitarian supplies consisting of tents, beds, generators and other essential items, according to the press release.

Lithuania has been facing an unprecedented influx of irregular migrants in recent months. This year so far, over 3,000 people have been detained after crossing from Belarus.

Vilnius officials maintain that the influx is being orchestrated by the Minsk regime.

Read more: Baghdad to Lithuania: how Belarus opened new migration route to EU – LRT Investigation

Mums svarbus tikslumas ir sklandi tekstų kalba. Jei pastebėjote klaidų, praneškite portalas@lrt.lt