News

2015.09.08 13:45

Lithuanian army ready to welcome first batch of conscripts

Preparations to receive conscripts is going smoothly and the biggest challenges is now faced by instructors, Lithuanian Minister of National Defence Juozas Olekas said on Tuesday after evaluating preparations to receive conscripts in Klaipėda.

Preparations to receive conscripts is going smoothly and the biggest challenges is now faced by instructors, Lithuanian Minister of National Defence Juozas Olekas said on Tuesday after evaluating preparations to receive conscripts in Klaipėda.

"A lot of work has been done, including renovation of living quarters, the training base. Troops will have normal service conditions," the minister told BNS after visiting the Grand Duke Butigeidis Dragoon Battalion.

In his words, part of works will continue during the training period, therefore "troops will end their service in better conditions than they started".

The battalion is set to accept next week 495 conscripts who will serve for nine months. They all joined the army voluntarily.

According to Olekas, the battalion will be joined by "very different people with different education and level of preparedness" therefore "it will be a great challenge for instructors to train the troops".

"But I think our instructors are ready and mutual understanding will appear after the first days of service," the minister said.

Lithuania reintroduced mandatory military service earlier this year and needed 3,000 conscripts in 2015. But no person will probably be summoned for mandatory service against his will this year, Olekas said, after over 2,500 people expressed their will to join the army voluntarily.
 

BNS